Saturday, December 21, 2013

more "about me"

I grew up as the child of a mentally ill parent. She's still mentally ill, but I am no longer a child. I have recently begun to realize some things I thought "everyone"--at least in the family-- knew were not, in fact, known. This blog may help me to put together my memories with others' into what might begin to approach a more complete history. I don't expect "truth" but it sure would be neat if I could track down that elusive beast.

I have evidence that my mother's parents actively hid facts for years. Not too surprising, considering that her first episode was in 1960, which was still not a very enlightened hour in modern mental health care. I lost my chance to question them, when they each lost their individual battles with cancer.

I can be judgmental and politically incorrect, but I hope that I achieve kindness more often than not. At this moment, my kindness for my mother has run empty. Hopefully for my peace of mind, I'll eventually be able to dig some up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment